I ended up resizing the partition I wanted to expand by using KDE partition editor. The following sequence is a history of the effort
- tried to expand the partition to 250gb from 160gb. the software attempted then faulted out telling me to run chkdsk /f the -f fixes problems with the file structures
- I ran chkdsk /f
- tried running kde partition editor without rebooting – it error'ed out again
- I rebooted KDE partition editor
- tried resizing the partition again and this time it worked
- placed the hard drive in the original computer and booting up. Everything seemed to be ok from a casual quick glance perspective. The computer did boot up.