Archive for the ‘Critical-Thinking’ Category

Jean Shepherd’s “I Libertine” Literary Hoax

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014

 

Video: The Power of Myth – The Heros Journey

Saturday, August 29th, 2009

 

  • The media uses myth all the time to lead lesser minds around on a leash. 
  • The literary application of myth is best studied because every movie you have ever seen used it to exploit what is already in your mind.  Quite literally Hollywood sells you your own imagination. At the same time they inject their political views in an attempt to indoctrinate.

Socialized medicine block diagram Org Chart

Wednesday, July 15th, 2009

This is the organ chart of socialized medicine.  It has kidneys, spleens, liver and onions and a whole lot of other organs your body does not. 

Congressmen must be very good engineers.  The reason I say this is because as an engineer I feel there is very little chance I could mathematically model the chances of success.  In fact more often than not when machines are this complicated they fail often and hard.  Thus I can only conclude that congressmen are smarter than I am.  In fact they must be demigods.  A god something bigger than Mercury and less than Jupiter.  And on a final note you maybe wondering where you are on this map of the corpus governmentus.  You reside on the rings around Uranus.  And thus you can assume the worse.  The flavor of the day will never change.

 

….. or you could be being hornswaggled.

 

Scooters versus Motorcycles – the right decision to save gas

Sunday, July 6th, 2008

Scooters have become stylish lately due to high gas costs.  However that is the wrong decision.  Scooters have small wheels and feel pretty tweaky to me.   A much better choice is to go get a small displacement motorcycle.  You will be safer and will find a larger envelop of operation.  You can drive your cycle 50 ish miles without too much difficulty.  I would not want to do that with a scooter.

95 percent of all your ideas are crap even though they seem great!

Saturday, May 24th, 2008

Think you are a moron half the time?  Believe me its much more than that.  I have studied this……..if you are lucky………5% of your ideas are actually good.  The other 95% are absolute non-flyers.  Even though they seem REALLY good.  I do not care how liberal you are or how good your intentions are.  Most of them are a load of smelly dung.  When you test them……they suck for whatever reason they just absolutely do not work.  You might say "what a waste!"  But not really. Because the 5% makes it all worth while.  Remember humans dwell on the positive. You use the 5% in the following fashion ( 0.95) ^Nth power -> decays to zero in other words humans keep the good ideas and toss out the bad so it appears EVERYTHING appears to work even though 95% of your ideas really sucked ass.

There must be a cost associated with everything

Sunday, May 11th, 2008

You own and business and you want to encourage gym usage on the part of your employees.  What is the optimum method?  Do you pay the total cost of the membership? The smartest solution is how the owner of EFDATA Bob Fitting handled gym memberships. Gym memberships were subsidized but not free. His explanation was if its free EVERYBODY signs up and they 1 in 10 uses what his company paid for. His solution? It was to charge a nominal fee large enough that you had to really WANT to use the membership or it made no sense. It was like 20 bucks a month. Just enough to make them make a decision. This is a flip side view of the same idea that people do not respect things they get for a low cost.  For example if you are too nice unless the person(s) you are dealing with are very mature and have alot of experience dealing with people you are bound to get short shrift.  Even then it pays to toughen up sometimes.  But then some people are just so sweet they are really not capable of stinking the place up. skunked-again.jpg Its a delicate balance knowing when to spray.  What does Mr. Skanks say?